Tapping German shepherd’s ear is the most crucial thing now a days because most of the people do not have proper knowledge that how to tap the German shepherd’s ear properly without hurting the dog.
If you are searching a step by step guide on how to tap a German shepherd’s ear then you are at the right place for your problem. We will discuss basic to advance level of properly cutting German shepherd’s ear.
How to stand up German shepherd ears
I had received so many questions from the dog owners about how to stand up the ears of dogs. The German shepherd dogs are not born with straight ears. They have floppy ears when they born and with the time elapsed their ears develop.
Basically over the period of time as their ears grows, the cartilage perks up giving them the straight structure. So this is natural for owners of German shepherd to make the best version of the ears for their dog.
At what age do German shepherd puppies ears stand up?
The puppy’s ears can gain the stand up structure in the middle of two months to sixteen weeks. By the time they should be standing up as your puppy has finished teething. Most of the dogs were not even suffering from teething and cartilage of the dogs ear were up stand.
German shepherd broken ear cartilage
There is variety of reasons of happening dog’s ear injury. The ears of the German shepherd have strong supply of blood. So, even only from a small cut or injury can cause a big effect like lot of bleeding.
But you should not be much worry about the blood loss from dog’s ears cause it will not make him much sick if you take proper step to resolve this problem.
What are the causes of ear wounds in German shepherd?
- The ear trauma can be happen from any external source or it can be happen if your dog has habit of too much scratching or head shaking.
- Outside things becoming lodges in the ear of your dog.
- The infections in the ear can be also caused b yeast or some types of bacteria.
- The injuries can be caused by fights with other dogs or harsh play.
- Ear parasite affects so much on the dogs such as mites, fleas, ticks and flies.
If your dog is shaking his head vigorously, then he might be suffering from pain, irritation or itching problem. Too much shaking can damage the dog’s ear. It can cause a blood blister disease called aural hematoma.
So if your German shepherd is under the serious problem like this, you should take him to the vet and provide him proper medical attention.
Deciding to Tape Your Puppy’s Ears
First, observe your dog’s ear structure. As we can see, Every German shepherd has different kind of ears, not all the German shepherds have the same ear structure.
For example, if the ears of the dog are thin and they do not have much cartilage, so they are not stiff enough to stand straight by themselves.
On the other hand, the dogs which have thick ears may have enough cartilage and good muscle development to keep them straight easily.
Ears that are widely spaced on your puppy’s head may have a harder time standing upright. Smaller ears are more likely to stand up naturally than larger ears.
How to tape German shepherd ear
Before taping the ears of German shepherd you should make sure that your German shepherd has crossed the age of teething. Some people worries too much even their puppy is only 3 to 4 months yet. They start panicking that the ears of their puppies are not standing. So you have to be patience first.
For taping, make sure first that your puppy is in good health. If your puppy does not have his ears sanding b the 20 weeks then you can involved with taping your dogs ears.
Steps how you can tape your dog ears.
- For taping you can use the white surgical tape which should be thin and tears easily. The 3M Micro pore tape can help, also a 2” wide works well.
- You can use the foam hair rollers that can be bought from market.(It is strongly warned that do not use duct tape or similar tapes)
- Use the foam and tape and wrap them around the ears into a tight roll. In vertical position.
- Use the Popsicle stick and joint it to the upper part of the ears of the dog. In horizontal position.
- The dog will try to tear the tape or will try to stick that off from the ears many times. The answer to that is to continue to taping again and again. Sooner they will forget the tape.
- After that, once a week remove the tape and inspect if the ears are stand on their own.
- Continue to re-tape again and again until they stand.
- If the ears are not standing by 8 to 9 months. Then they are not going to stand ever.
In this article we have discussed about how to make German shepherds ears stand up and what are the methods of taping the ears of German shepherd. We also included that what ear problems a German shepherd can face in their lives.
I hope you enjoyed this article and you got the enough information you needed about the topic of German shepherd and is it god to tape the ears of German shepherd.
If you have any question, query or suggestion about the taping of German shepherd ears you can feel free to ask in the comment section below and do share this article with your friends.